Saturday, October 30, 2010

More Hiking?? Yep: Zion Canyon

I know, I know... one look at those trails and my legs began to weep.  But the nice thing about Zion Canyon was that the hard part (uphill) is at the beginning.  My original plan was to conquer Angel's Landing but I woke up with the start of a head cold and thought better of that idea. 
 I took my second choice, the East Rim Trail, which took me through Echo Canyon.   

 

 







The trail was not so bad until the end, where the steepest part practically kills you.  But it was worth it; the views were spectacular! 

Echo Canyon was a different sight- surrounded by walls that seem to reach the sky, and ripples in the sandstone from all the levels of water flowing in the canyon throughout the years.




A part of me enjoyed it a little more than the Grand Canyon.  I was supposed to make it to a place called Observation Point, but stopped just before it to eat lunch while perched up on a chuck of cliff with an amazing view... my own observation point.  You were able to see the length of the canyon and watch hawks soar overhead.
On the way down, I was so relieved it was downhill that I actually enjoyed the trip back!  Made such good time that I decided to then hike Hidden Canyon Trail. 
This trail was adventurous... you have so many ups and downs and round the side of a cliff.  I climbed beyond the mouth of the canyon, and climbed beyond that too.  It was an adventure in itself and I was the only one of 5 people exploring it.  Definitely the only one who walked as deep into the canyon as I did. 
 


 Most of the footing was on a sandy trail with the occasional pile of boulders or tree trunks blocking the way.  The walls of canyon towered overhead.  I reached what had become my stopping point because there was no possible way around it without risk of taking a tumble into the creek.  Besides, I heard my mom's voice in my head saying "Barbara Angeline, not another step" -like when I was a kid who always pushed the limits while hiking- and felt it was a good idea to listen :)


I thought this was the end of my trip through Zion, but then went up one more mini trail to Weeping Rock.  This area is full of little springs of water that run down the side of the canyon-  some of the water in the canyon is said to be up to 4000 years old!
Zion Canyon was a full day of hiking and picture-taking and I finally took the shuttle back to my car, only to find my left head light was burnt out.  That makes two of us.

5 comments:

  1. Never hiked the trails in Zion(didnt want to hear Nick complain about it being just a bunch of rocks like the Grand Canyon) but seen alot of waterfalls there. 4000 year old water??? hope you didnt drink any.....it would make you look old. How fitting.....you take the Weeping Rock trail with your weeping legs. I was hoping you would get to Bryce canyon which is a short distant north. Take care of that cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was torn between Bryce and Zion- decided Zion would have impressed me more because Bryce looked like a lot of scenery that you could see by just driving through Utah this time of year. Can't make it all of 'em! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just fyi......Bryce Canyon cannot be seen driven through. Its up around 11000 feet and u park and walk to get to some of the overlooks and hiking involved too. Maybe the next time u get out that way its a must see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No- I know you can't see the canyon from driving through... I meant from all the postcards I've seen of Bryce, the scenery looks like a lot of the scenery that you drive through when you are in the middle of nowhere in Utah. Maybe I saw bad postcards :)
    Anyways, next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If and when you get the opportunity to go there your not going to believe your in Utah.

    ReplyDelete