Saturday, October 16, 2010

Wakulla Spring and through Panama City

On my way out of Florida, I stopped at one of the world's deepest freshwater spring about 15 miles south of Tallahassee.  It didn't looked like much at first, but when you climb to the top of the jump tower and look down into the water, you can see where the the drop-off begins and leads down into a cave of shadows. 


There is a roped off area that is designated for swimming so people don't wander over the deep deep part or wander into a napping alligator.  One look at that jump tower, of course I immediately went back to the car to grab my swimsuit.  Once I got to the top... wow.  I wasn't sure if I was gonna do it.  But they say the water stays about 70 degrees.  They were so wrong.  After getting the courage to just jump that terrifying leap, I hit an icy surprise.  I wasn't sure if I was shivering from excitement or hypothermia, but I had  to find out.  Did it again... still just as scary, still just as cold.  Yikes, ok, it was time to dry off in the sun along the beach I was sharing with a duck.  It was a nice afternoon, listening to the wildlife around me and relaxing in the sun.












On the drive west towards Alabama, I took a side road that was more scenic along the Gulf of Mexico.  So pretty. 

 Palm trees, white sand, blues and greens in the ocean.  Seaside was one of the towns along my drive- it's pretty much the set for the Truman Show (Jim Carrey movie): pastel-colored homes, tiny businesses (post office), white picket fences... cute.

 








Then onto the longer part of the drive out of FL, through Alabama, Mississippi, and into Louisiana...

1 comment:

  1. I was goin to say something was wrong with ya if you didnt jump. Whats with the 5min parking at the post office?? Is that where express mail was discovered?

    ReplyDelete