Monday, October 18, 2010

Dancin' Down the Streets of New Orleans

 

New Orleans is a very lively city- by day and by night.  The buildings are so old and so colorful and have such ornate wrought ironwork that one can't help but want to photograph everything. 
I got there early, found a parking meter, and started walking to see some of the architectural highlights: St. Louis Cathedral, Old Ursalines Convent, Preservation Hall, Cornstalk Hotel, the Girod House, Supreme Court building, etc.  I walked through Jefferson Square, where artists had their work displayed for sale, tarot card readers, and food carts.  It sits right in front of the cathedral.  Wandered up and down the streets, enjoyed every turn to see more interesting buildings, people break dancing, and more street musicians.
I also took a visit to St. Louis Cemetery No.1 and saw all of the above-ground burials from hundreds of years ago.  Many were run down from weather and vandals, and that made it creepy!  I did find the burial of Marie Laveau, voodoo practitioner or "voodoo queen", with all of the XXX's marked on the sides.  People believed that she would grant your wish once having marked her stone.
 

   








Yes, I tried Cafe du Monde, and am pleased to say that I was able to contain myself and stop after only one order (3 beignets) and one cafe au lait ;)  Probably because I already looked like I dug my way out of a powdered sugar snow storm by the time I had finished.  I couldn't believe how busy it was: line for take-out, lines for a table.  I went in the evening, while everyone was on Bourbon Street.









 
 Bourbon Street is quite a sight... I walked down there while it was the afternoon, and again after dark.  I thought it was hopping for a Saturday afternoon until I saw the street at night.  Open-air bars lining the street on either side with gift shops, strip clubs, and frozen drink bars in between.  All types of music with a beat flowing out of different bars and bouncers waving you in.  The street is blocked off from car traffic that allows party-goers' to gather, drink, and stumble.  Lights, flags, music, and the aroma of beer and rum... I can't even begin to imagine how the streets are during Mardi Gras! 

and, no, that sign didn't really
have the star over the A

I didn't want to stay too late and end up getting lost in the mob so I after a couple hours of absorbing the excitement (and getting some nighttime  photos outside of Bourbon St), I joined in on the cupid shuffle in the middle of the street out front of the French Opera House site before heading out to where my car was waiting to begin the drive towards Texas. 



1 comment:

  1. So....did you mark the voodoo stone? And i cant believe your doctoring up the photos....are u really on this trip???...lol. Hey did you see any remnants of Katrina?

    ReplyDelete