Thursday, October 7, 2010

Pressed for time after a Beautiful Day

Ok, I got 30 'til my ferry to Cedar Island and 45 'til my battery dies... just got a brief Wifi spot at an ice cream place to update yesterday and today. 
Ocracoke Island... so very gorgeous.  I couldn't believe the solitude at the beaches (again, off season).  The dunes stretched as far as I could see and the waves tickled my ankles walking along the shore.  It almost hit 8o degrees today and was clear... I think I had such a relaxing time that I forgot about my camera for a while.  It's just a little town with B&Bs and ferry tours and horse rides along the beaches.  No major stores, no Starbucks, none of that. 


There once were wild ponies that ran the beaches but, because of tourism, they are penned and fed in one large area for their safety.  No shoes or saddles or anything though. 


Also, something I didn't get a chance to do, there is a ferry that will bring you out to Portsmouth- it's an abandoned settlement on an island.  You can camp on the beach and explore the deserted buildings.  I missed the last ferry out and they are all booked tomorrow.  But one day I think that would be a cool thing to see.  Plus, I might be fortunate that it didn't work out because thte mosquitos are horrible once evenings come and I don't have mosquito netting.
Well, gotta get these pics up and get going to catch the ferry to the mainland, or else I'm stuck here with the ponies... I hear they don't share their bedding :)


1 comment:

  1. I love this....you are so blessed. Miss you a lot but I know you are living out your dream. Can you send me your twitter name so I can keep in touch directly. I think about and pray for you every day. I'd like you to meet my neice and nephew if and when you get to San Diego, they're your age and they can show you around a little if you have time. Love you, be safe. Ma Karen

    ReplyDelete