Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Bienvenidos a Miami

I stopped in Coral Gables to see the Biltmore Hotel first, which once housed a speak-easy run by Al Capone, and this 1926 structure is so amazing!  Really big and just gorgeous.  Fountains, gardens, arches, largest hotel pool in the US... really cool.  Rooms run between $200-$350.  Ok, off to Miami Beach...











Driving round and round for a spot along Collins Street in Miami Beach... totally forgot it was a holiday. So, not only was everyone at the beach, the visitor center was closed.  I ended up making my way around to see some highlights of the art deco architecture based off of a book that's been guiding me 75% of the way anyhow (the other 25% is learning through experience, a.k.a getting lost! haha). 
 
 
I saw some awesome buildings, mostly hotels, but also just walked along Ocean Drive before heading to the beach.  There are a million restaurants with tables under awnings out front of the hotels with a million different happy hours.  It's dangerous to walk down that side of the street because there is always a hostess out front trying to hand you a menu.  But the atmosphere was quite a change.  There is a large Latin population in Miami, a lot of Cuban culture, so you are always hearing salsa music or some sort of Latin tongue around you.  (I did end up going to a Cuban restaurant in Little Havana, along Calle Ocho, called
Versailles... delicious!) 
Well, beach time.  The beach was kinda crowded, but I managed to find a spot.  The ocean was so blue, and there were a lot of waves- very beautiful!  And I always forget about the salt in the water until it's too late and it's in my mouth- blah!!  But it is nice to be able to just float over the waves.  Every so often a school of fish will fly out of the water when a high wave comes in; it would happen so fast, I wasn't able to catch a picture of it. 
 Pelicans and seagulls overhead... what a beautiful day.  One thing that I didn't know was that all the beach chairs set out on the sand are for RENT.  $10 to use a chair.  Oh, and the umbrella is extra.  I think that was another $4.  Yeah, I'm fine sitting in the sand.

Oh, and word from the home front: Apparently, Alyska has completely taken control of Carl's apartment...

Oh brother.

1 comment:

  1. Besides the Latin music did you hear any Miami Vice music? If so Crocket and Tubbs were close by.(1980s tv series). I knew when you left Alyska with Carl and the Gang that they would turn Alyska into a terrorist cat.....careful when you return home. I think the "al-cata" group is growing in numbers.

    ReplyDelete