Saturday, October 30, 2010

Grand Canyon: North Rim

Ok, it was time to try out the North Rim.  Over 200 miles around the canyon to get there driving. The South Rim of the Grand Canyon and the North Rim: completely different worlds.  Other than the fact that the South Rim has more accommodations for tourists so the North Rim often has less "traffic", the South Rim-as I mentioned- has a lot of desert colors and has this silent beauty.  The North Rim is more lively with all of its forestry and its more often seen wildlife.

 I took the north end of the same trail, the North Kaibab Trail.  The two trails connect at a bridge over the Colorado River.  Again, very steep and this one has a lot of twists and turns and is more rugged.  Walking along this trail had a more ideal "hiking" feel to it.  The aroma of pine needles envelope you while walking through the changing colors of the trees.  Lizards would scurry across the path every so often.

 








Once you leave the "tree level", the red rocks set in.  The view opened up and amazed me all over again.  Trees line the sides of the canyon and Mt. Humphreys (highest pt in AZ) could be seen far in the background.

 


After getting passed the red zone, the rock turns to a lighter sandstone color and cactus plants begin to show themselves.  So strange how parts of the canyon along your journey have such a different environments!
I walked quite a bit further this time because I made a point to start earlier in the day.  I probably ended up doing 10 miles, round trip.  I made it down to a place called Roaring Springs... name fits well.  It literally is a few springs that, because of the amplification in the canyon I'm sure, roar like it's this huge falls. 
And, of course, the way out was terribly difficult... thought I was going to collapse.  I'm so glad I started hiking when I did because there was no way I wanted to be left to guide myself out after dark in all those trees.

 


This part of the trail makes you feel more inside the canyon, for it doesn't have the widespread feel of the south end (and I'm sure descending over 3000 ft below the rim has something to do with it too!).
All I know for sure is that after these last 2 days, I am going to sleep like a baby!  I'm beat from all that climbing...

1 comment:

  1. Did you stay by the lodge at the north rim? Hey with all this hiking and elevation changes you'll be all prepared by the time you make it to Colorado.

    ReplyDelete