Saturday, September 25, 2010

Road trippin'...

Ok, so I totally got a late start (had to finish car stuff so I wouldn't get stranded) and am finally out on the road and now have a chance to sit and start this thing while my car takes a breather. 
This is coming to the end of the second full day in this adventure.  My first stop, after a very long and boring ride through Indiana and Ohio, was Niagra Falls.  I went across to the Canadian side b/c the view is said to be nicer.  Let me tell you, I have never been to the Falls and it took my breath away.  There is a little marketplace along side of where you walk (where one can also get a carriage ride) and no matter if it's raining or not, you feel the mist of the waterfalls as if it were raining almost the while time I was there... beside the fact that it did pour rain for a bit :)
Once you reach the overlook of Niagra Falls, it's actually a little scary! It at least gets your heart rate up... the crashing of the water and the drop into a virtually neverending cloud of mist... wow! 
I walked down Clifton Hill which is similar to a downtown Wisconsin Dells... I had no idea this type of street was so close to the actual waterfalls.  What a clash of nature and night life.  
Once the sun set, I returned to see the falls when lit up.  It was so so gorgeous.  I spent just the one evening here and already I was way excited at what I had seen... and only on the first day (simple minded? maybe... haha).  
I returned to the US, and drove most of the night until I reached a rest stop outside Watertown, NY. 
This morning I continued driving until Lake Placid, NY.  A nice little town wedged between two lakes with a mountainous backdrop.  It is also the town where the 1932 and 1980 winter Olympics where held and I saw the arena for that (well, the building).  Now I am in Wilmington, NY, about to leave from going through the Adirondack Mountains and make it into Vermont tonight. 
So far so good... the worst that has happened is me being lazy and not emptying the melted ice from my cooler this morning... then stopping fast at a half-hidden stop sign... yeah, real nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment