Thursday, September 30, 2010

Cape Cod

Woke up so early and still couldn't get to everythin I planned on!  There are way too many beaches on the Cape... I stopped at one before going to Provincetown.  Nauset Beach.  It was pretty, and pretty deserted.  It is off-season so the parking was free though.  Really really windy!  Small dunes lined the beach and it was a bit hazy, but nice.  Stayed for about 45min. then drove to the Cape Cod National Seashore Info Center.  I wanted to walk the dunes in Wellfleet, but chose to skip it for Provincetown first. Why? I had a very important whale watching reservation!

Provincetown is so nice.  Narrow streets, lots of food and places to shop, and a beautiful coastline and pier.  I took the Dolphin Fleet Whale Watch out at 1pm.  The waters were really choppy, so I was lucky that they went out at all.  Took the Portuguese Princess II and it lasted for about 3hrs.  We saw several groups surfacing and a few whales going solo.  All humpback though- not lucky enough to see the rare ones this time.  It was an amazing trip!  Salty sprays, waves, seagulls, a seal (but I couldn't get a glimpse of him in time) and of course, the whales.  There is one whale they call Salt; she's been around Provincetown since 1974!  We saw her today with a calf swimming along side her.

Such great experience, so I shouldn't be bummed that I didn't have enough daylight for the other beaches on Cape Cod.  There will be plenty more :)

1 comment: