Sunday, September 26, 2010

Drivin' through clouds

After driving through Vermont all night (by the way, between seeing Vermont in daylight or skipping it to see NH in daylight: skip VT), I arrived in Littleton, New Hampshire to crash for a bit.  But the cool part was getting into the state of NH... the bridge was closed, so I had to drive my car onto a ferry to get across! I've never been on one before, let alone in the dead of night. 
Spent all of today in White Mountain Park... the fall colors are amazing.  It was raining and foggy while I was actually driving up in the mountains and didn't have as many scenic views as expected, but I did hike to Kinsman Falls, saw the Basin, and drove along NH112 Kancamagus Hwy--beautiful beautiful drive.  By the time I reached Mt. Washington, the entire top half was covered with fog so I didn't bother trying to get up there. 
Along the drive, I also stopped to see a historic house from the 1800s and the village cemetary (creepy).  So the quick version of the story of the woman who was born and lived in this house: she was married and had 5 children. The husband "went out for a while" and never came home. For 42 years, Ruth (the woman) lit a lamp in the window, and died awaiting his return.  Three years after her death, husband returned... then wanting to claim the property, apparently.  He had a wife and 3 kids elsewhere in the meantime! Anyways, the house is so old and has been preserved all these years, and is the oldest farmhouse left in the area.
Continued driving until I reached Augusta, Maine, where I will sleep and get an early start towards Portland, ME.  I would love to reach the coast to go whale-watching and then try this lobster people talk about... ;) 
And this drive into ME was not easy... it continued to rain and the fog thickened so these twisting roads where a task!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Barb,
    Your getting great colors. That should continue as you head south. Keep those pics coming. Be safe.

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete