Saturday, November 6, 2010

Pacific Coast Highway, Day 1













When people talk about how absolutely amazing the Pacific Coast Highway, Rte. 1, is... believe them 100%.  I didn't exactly have doubts, but it exceeded anything I could have imagined about it.  The only unfortunate things were: a) I think the better direction to travel is south because there are better views of the cliffs that way and, b) it is not only a highway, but a narrow highway that twists and turns.  Not easy to take photos while driving it nor are there many places to pull over from the northbound lane.  But I did what I could regarding the photos, and definitely enjoyed it the entire way.

But let me back up... I cut over from Rte 101 by taking 46 west.  This road is consumed by wineries.  Hills after hills of grape fields.  Really pretty.  The Lucia mountain range is a gorgeous sight in general.  Probably one of the only places I will come across zebras grazing with cattle!!
The first stop once I made it to Rte.1 was Hearst Castle.  Set right up in the mountains, the castle has something like 165 rooms and numerous pools.  Didn't take the tour- I went to the viewing deck to get a look... only because I had something specific on my agenda and only a small amount of daylight to complete this plus the stretch of PCH for today.


The blue stripes above me on the fence:
the top one is the length of a male seal!

 
 
 Elephant seals.  That was the one thing, other than the ocean views, that I wanted to see while driving the coast.  About 5 miles north of the castle is a HUGE elephant seal colony that just lounges on the beach in the sun.  I pulled off to the coastal area and could not believe the number of seals I saw, let alone the sizes of these seals.  Some were swimming out in the ocean, but most of them were being lazy and catching their early afternoon naps.  Big ones, small ones, fat ones, noisy ones...  These things make a lot of different noises- sometimes they coo and purr.  The bigger ones often make these crude noises, almost like belching sounds.
The way they drag themselves along the sand is funny, especially the fatter ones.  But I can tell that they are so strong, and faster than they look; I certainly would not like to get too close!

 After a little further north, the views of the cliffs and the ocean really get started.  Ups and downs through mountains, next to valleys, waves crashing down below, the sun reflecting off of the crystal-like ocean.
I really don't have any real good way to describe it.  Someone told me it would be: "Mountains. Road. Cliff. Ocean."  I don't think there is a better way to put it.

 




A good tip though, if anyone plans on doing this drive (which I strongly recommend): start with a FULL tank of gas. 


Not a half, not three-quarters... full.  I am not saying this because it's dangerous and you'll run out; there are gas stations about every 40 miles.  You will pay extreme prices though.  You know, from $4.59 to $4.91/gal. for unleaded.  Just something to keep in mind :)

By sunset, I reached Santa Cruz to walk along the boardwalk that's been there since 1907.  Pretty basic, but just something cool to relax near after being in and out of the car all day.  The temp started to "drop" so I didn't stay out very long.  (Haha... yeah, like, dropped to 60!)

Santa Cruz Boardwalk
 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome shots. Be prepared for the changing weather as you head up north. In Co. it was 70 degrees yesterday. Tonite going to be in the mid 20s with snow showers.

    ReplyDelete