Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Limited in Yellowstone


Although I love traveling this time of year because of the lack of people vacationing in the off season, I should have thought about the fact that the snow would prevent me from getting into some of the National Parks in the mountains.  Fortunately, my aunt did a ton of investigating and there is a section of Yellowstone I was able to see: Mammoth Springs.

Palette Spring


I have never seen hot springs before, so this was so cool for me.  I was dragging my feet through shin-high snow all over the boardwalks and roads that were closed to cars.  It was so weird to be surrounded by snow and bundled up, yet the water pouring out of these colorful rock and mineral formations was hot! 
The boardwalk around Palette Spring was taken down due to the hot spring activity beneath it.  But the steam and running water was so cool. 
New Blue Spring was one of my favorites because the pool of water sitting in the top of it was practically glowing blue. 

New Blue Spring


Orange Mound and around the Upper Terrace had extraordinary views and it was quite a work-out.  You could see Historic Fort Yellowstone from there and tons of mountains.

Orange Mound

 

It was so fascinating to read about how some of the springs that were dormant for years have started up again or expect to begin activity in the future.  Further more, the fact that this is all because of volcanic activity beneath where I was walking!


Canary Spring

Next to New Blue Spring


So, although I wasn't able to make Old Faithful this time around, the hot springs and scenery (not to mention the elk coming towards my car!) made my trip worth it.  Besides, one could spend weeks and weeks in this park; all I needed was a taste for now :)
 


1 comment:

  1. What??? You didn't take a dip in any of the springs. I know you had your bathing suit from all the swims you took at the oceans.

    ReplyDelete