Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Rock Lobster! (start dancin')

Maine! Hooray! It was foggy, rainy, chilly... and I loved it.  Pictures are pretty grey, but that's Maine this time of year.  I decided against going all the way to Bangor because if I didn't catch Stephen King outside at the mailbox, I would have been disappointed that I spent the gas money :) 
I drove into Portland this morning and made my way to Cape Elizabeth/ Fort Williams Park.  Maine's oldest lighthouse is here and it is my first real glimpse of the ocean.  Waves crashing up, rain pouring down.  I took a ton of pictures, but don't really have much to say except that it's a lighthouse (I was more psyched about the Atlantic). 

Fort Williams was cool in the way of being able to see the "ruins" of the battery and other structures.  They really haven't been preserved like I thought they might be... people have littered and defaced the grounds quite a bit (away from the lighthouse).  But the remains of a mansion from the 1800's was in decent shape- this one was fenced off.  It was one of the first properties on Cape Elizabeth.
Anyways, I made my way down to Ogunquit (means "Beautiful Place by the Sea") to see Perkins Cove and to try some lobster. I arrived, parked, and first started the walk along the coast known as the Marginal Way. It is about 1.5mi total but I did only the first mile. That wind was pickin' up and I was getting soaked! Again, a bit foggy, but this is exactly how I pictured Maine would be: a cove with eateries along the coast and a harbor nearby. Cute beach houses in yellows and blues with white fences, little shops along the main strip, cobblestone crosswalks, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment