Thursday, September 30, 2010

Boston

Hopped on the Green Line from Lechmere (near Cambridge) and headed downtown early.  After only 4 stops, I got off and started the Freedom Trail walk... kinda touristy, but I felt it was a great way for me to see a lot of historical points of the city without getting too lost, and all in a short time because I wanted to be traffic and sundown when leaving the city.
The beginning is in Boston Common and takes you passed the Old State House and the site of the Boston Massacre, then through Quincy Market and along the Bell in Hand Tavern. 

I liked walking through Little Italy a lot because it had so many little shops and cafes... and it did really smell like Italy!  I resisted the many gelato places (mainly because I didn't see any green apple!), and headed to see the Paul Revere House.  Shortly after, I was in the Paul Revere mall, where you are shadowed by a huge statue of him on his horse.  Back behind him, the Old North Church towers above.
  The pews are set up really differently than I have seen- they are more like penalty boxes.  I saw in the one that Teddy Roosevelt sat in. :)
The church is at the bottom of a hill- the view is so great- and at the top of the hill is Copp's Hill Burying Ground.  More old old headstones.

Walked across the Charlestown Bridge into Charlestown to see the Bunker Hill Monument, so anxious to climb it after 2 hours of walking.  What do ya know: closed for renovation.  My luck.  Well, took a look around the museum about the Battle of Bunker Hill and started the trek back towards downtown.  Stopped by the USS Constitution ship, and also saw a ship dry docked- that was interesting.
Think I was done after all morning of walking? Nope.  Went to Long Wharf on the coast to eat my lunch (packed lunch- it doesn't have eyes).  It finally started to cool off- most of the morning was pretty warm, especially walking around so much in long jeans.  I was prepared for rain that held off the duration of the day surprisingly.  Jumped back on the train to my car, but was only able to beat one of the two things I was trying to avoid... and it wasn't sundown.  Traffic traffic traffic, at 2:30pm. 
Made it Cape Cod and stopped in Sandwich, the oldest town on the Cape.  Camped in Shawme Crowell State Park, and slept like a baby!

1 comment:

  1. You got to Sandwich a little late. You ate it at Long Wharf.

    ReplyDelete